SGP

Welcome to the Stephanie Greenwell Photography Blog

My photo
Serving the Southeast Missouri area including Hayti, Caruthersville, Portageville, and Kennett

Welcome to my blog! I hope you'll stay awhile and get a few laughs at my everyday life. I'm a mother to four great kiddos and married to a stud-muffin. (It makes him feel better!) Life is always what you make it and to tell the truth, I couldn't make it any better than it is. Photography has allowed me capture the lives of my children in a way that I couldn't imagine. And now it's what I love to do. Let me capture your loves, your laughters, your lives.

Visit the new blog at www.stephaniegreenwellblog.com

Sunday, November 15, 2009

[Engaged] Ashley + Joel | Hayti Missouri Photographer

Frank and Ava. World War II. Casablanca. Tracy and Hepburn. Presidents Roosevelt and Truman. Pin curls. Dior. It's a Wonderful Life. Humprhey Bogart. Chanel no 5. Fred and Ginger.

Ashley had it in her mind. A 1940's-inspired engagement shoot. She enthusiastically conveyed it to me on the phone the night before. We talked about "The Notebook" with its 1940's setting and the passion of Noah and Allie. That decade was full of passion. And then my heart began racing.

See, I had never shot an engagement session, much less a themed session. A 1940's theme, at that. I told her that my hope was that I could do it justice, but inside, oh, I was a nervous wreck. I knew this meant a lot to her, and what if I didn't quite get the idea? I mean, I totally loved the idea on paper, but it's only natural to question one's ability when one has no experience in it.

And Ashley was just as gracious as Mother Teresa. She more than once insisted that she wasn't picky at all. But what she didn't know, is that I totally am; I am my own worst critic and I certainly wanted to give her and Joel an exquisite engagement session. Because, you know, Ashley went through a lot of trouble to get all the props and outfits we were going to use. And, let me mention, we were getting to use a beautiful vintage 1932 Auburn V12, courtesy of Mr. & Mrs. Glen O. Petersen.

So, I took pen to paper and started writing down my ideas. I wanted to see the ideas in my head on paper without the distraction of being on the actual shoot. What was the outcome came across far more beautifully than I ever expected. It helps when the subjects are beautiful and fun and didn't laugh at me when I would get all giggly over an awesome shot. Like a kid in a candy store, I tell ya.

Thank you, Ashley and Joel. I'm honored that you chose me to shoot your engagement pictures. I had so much fun with you both and I appreciate the time you took to prepare for this shoot. I'm feeling my age seeing that I clearly remember you two as little tykes. Thank you to the Petersen's for loaning your beautiful car and for your hospitality.

Best wishes for your future together!




























9 comments:

Sunny said...

Very creative and great variety. You have outdone yourself. :)

jill said...

These are gorgeous! I love the use of props..really creative ideas!

Svetlana Yanova said...

Hey I came to your blog through Jasmine Star and was intrigued by your 1940s couple. :) I gotta say I simply love these!! Very creative and the couple is just gorgeous!! :)

Mary Marantz said...

whaaaaaaaaaat?!? These are awesome Stephanie!!

Anonymous said...

WoW these are amazing!

Jenna (Cammi J Photography) said...

Stephanie, you totally outdid yourself with these! WOW! If someone had asked me to do a 1940's theme I would have no clue where to start. Incredible!!

Bren Haas said...

WOW... great inspiration! The look totally fits your clients. I don't think you could have pulled this setting off with just anyone.

Fabulous work ( saw your post on a 'friends' facebook.

Unknown said...

i stumbled upon your blog and i just had to leave you love on these!! they completely blow me AWAY!! totally authentic and flawless!! so dreamy too!

Stephanie Greenwell said...

wow! thanks girls! just noticed all these comments!